Saturday, December 17, 2011

the Dove

My heart has been so heavy lately for friends and families who are really struggling right now with the holidays. This time of year can be extremely painful. Even with so much to be thankful for, people all around us are deeply hurting. My heart breaks for them.


Every holiday that passes I think about two years ago and how thankful I am it's not that time. The pain of losing a child will always be evident and deep, but thankfully not as raw. That's His grace.


I was talking with one of my best friends about Reese, and she said, "I know there are countless times when her physical presence is missed, but her spirit is very much alive in you." 


She also talked about her mom who is in Heaven. "So much of her is still around and yet the part I want most - her physical presence - isn't." I could not explain this more perfectly in how I feel about Reese too.


I know she will never be forgotten. Her life has touched so many people. Her presence fills my heart and home. And one day she will fill the void inside me that only Heaven can satisfy.


I love what my parents have started doing with their Christmas cards.

Can you find the dove? She's above Zach and Jason. Her subtle presence represents Reese. Our sweet little girl has changed each one of us, and we are better because of her life.


So hug on those around you who are hurting this Christmas. We all know someone who is feeling loss in their lives. You don't even have to say a word. Trust me, they will never forget it. ; )


Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father...who does not change like shifting shadows.


James 1:17

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love. Thank you

hi-d said...

Sweet, Sweet, Post! God Bless you dear lady.

Jenny said...

What a sweet post, Katie! I LOVE your heart!

Becky said...

What a precious idea. Today I visited my daughter and drove by their little memory garden for the baby they lost. For a moment grief overwhelmed me for this missing grandchild. It has been 6 years.

Carolina Girl said...

As I'm struggling being a single parent right now while Brian is deployed I'm often reminded how blessed I am that I have my two babies, here with me. So often I want to have a pity party when both children are crying and crawling up my pant leg. And then I stop and think of all of those who are dealing with loss this time of year and how hard it must be for them. And I'm ashamed that I wish for some alone time.

I absolutely love the Dove in this picture. What a sweet girl she is!

Mandy said...

That card cracks me up. You can't even see Hunter and Colson and Abby has this silly look on her face! Mercy. Our CARAZY family.

I can't wait to hug YOU this Christmas! Love you. Love the dove. Love Reese the most! : )

Shannon said...

Wow. Love that.

Lauren said...

What a sweet post Katie! I love the dove in your parent's card, what a sweet way to include Reese whose spirit is very much alive! I'm missing her with you, I can't even begin to feel what you are feeling, but I'm beside you, missing her too. Love you!

Miranda said...

SO SWEET - made me tear up a little bit! Bless your sweet family!

Sara said...

That is beyond sweet! What a wonderful way to include Reese!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Amy said...

what a sweet reminder to remember those that are hurting this christmas. one of my dear friends lost her husband in a car accident last dec 20th. her little girl was 6 months old at the time. as the anniversary approaches, it's so hard to know what to do and what to say, but you are SO right....sometimes, we don't have to say anything. just being there is enough. hugs to you and your sweet family this christmas!!

Nicole said...

Such a sweet post, Katie! and so very true! 2011 has been a very hard year for us, but having 3 healthy and happy little girls has really put things into prospective to me. I have had quite a few friends deal with very sick little children this year. I pray for them and all of you that have lost a child. Merry Christmas and Miss you! :)

shawwendy12 said...

what a sweet sweet post!! Praying for you and your family often, not just at the holidays but always. I lost my only sister 14 years ago to cancer, and you are so right, a hug can do so much, no words are needed! Blessings to you!!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

What a sweet post and I love that picture!

Memoirs of Me & Mine said...

Truly sweet post!

www.rebeccabany.com

Deborah said...

I'm so glad that's what your family picture looks like too! My Mom sent out a picture in all her Christmas cards that everyone looks great except my little boy who is completely turned around :) I was a little sad at first that no one would see his cute face, but oh well, guess that's what it's like with almost 2 year olds.

Brandi said...

Beautiful card!!! Such a sweet post!

Anna & Kirby said...

precious... hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Kim said...

Katie...

I absolutely LOVE the idea of the dove. Oh my. What a beautiful representation of a beautiful little girl.

I am definitely going to have to keep that idea in the back of my mind for next year. This year we put JG's picture in a frame and we held it and took pics of the kids holding her frame. Already thinking of how to remember her for next year.

You have blessed me Katie. And thanks for encouraging others to think of those who may be hurting this time of year. I know I have really felt the love and prayers from so many friends and family this year, and although I still wish things were different and our daughter were here, I am thankful for the ways He has worked and provided during this time.

Have a wonderful week, Katie.

:) Kim

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved